Saturday, November 27, 2010

Hood River / The Dalles, OR Ride Report

In June of 2010 I had the opportunity to visit Portland, OR and the surrounding area. In a brief description everything is over the top beautiful. The Willamette Valley, Coastal area, Mt. Hood, Columbia River and Portland itself.
I had a day to myself while my wife was working in Portland. I drove the couple of hours to Hood River and rented a Giant OCR from Discover Bicycles. I rode out of town and East towards Rawena Glen and The Dalles. The route follows old 30 for awhile which is an engineering feet of the last century. Cliffs and tunnels and one really cool switchback coming down from Rawena Glen.
I dodged some bullets. It rained every day on our trip but only threatened rain and spit a little on my day off.
The incredible thing about this ride was the change in scenery. In the less than 20 miles I went to a rain forest kind of environment to a dryer one.
This was a memorable 45 mile ride and if you are ever in the area this is a must do, especially with a shop like Discover bicycles where you can rent a nice road bike for $30 for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment